Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Relapse

As many of you who read this blog know, I have had some difficulties with
my blood levels for several months. After a slew of tests, including two
bone marrow biopsies, the doctors finally found the elusive leukemia lurking
in the shadows.

My first question to my doctor was could this have been prevented. How did this
happen? My sister's marrow never grafted to 100%. It got as high as 99% in the fall
when I was feeling great. No one knows what caused my platelets to go awry. It
was not the disease then. But over the past four months, nothing at all has pointed
outright to a relapse. And even after this latest bone marrow biopsy, it took the
pathologist several extra days to find it.

Bottom line - this disease sucks. I hate it. I hate it with every single fiber of my
being.

So now what?

I go back into Penn on Thursday the 19th for another month long stay. I will start
chemo on Friday. Then, on April 30th, I will finally get my Blast of Brenda Booster™.
The docs are hoping that will help the transplant finally get up to 100% as well as
bring my numbers back to a normal range. The goal is to get out of the hospital in
a month.

IF the chemo works and kills all of the leukemia and IF the BOBB™ works and the
graft gets to 100%, then this can be a cure.

This is what I need from everyone out there - as many prayers, or good energy, or positive
thoughts as you can send me. I will be greedy and take it all.

And how am I doing? Right now, I am feeling
all of the "D"s:
    Despair
    Despondancy
    Disappointment
    Depression
    Depleted
    Deflated

I don't feel like a warrior right now. I don't feel strong. I feel like I want to put my head
under the covers and stay there until someone waves a magic wand and makes it all go
away.

But that's not how life works, is it? I still can't figure out why some people are hit with so
much and others are not. But this is the hand I was dealt. It's not fair. But I have to be
grateful for a good team of doctors and a possibility of beating this.

If anyone wants to help out my family, you can contact The Hubs. I'm sure gift cards to
Zoes Kitchen, Wawa, Dominos, etc, would be appreciated by him. He and the kids have
a month without me, so rides might be needed. Extra support and understanding for all of
them will also go a long way. This is hard on me, but it's hard on them too. Harder, I
sometimes think.

As for me, it's another month in the Penn - but luckily no isolation. Just a regular room where
I am free to come and go as I please (as long as I'm masked up). Horrible hospital food for
four weeks or so. And hopefully an attitude change. I need to get positive and stay positive.

Easier said than done.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Carin, Our thoughts and extra prayers are with you now. I think you have this challenge because you can handle it. Please keep us all posted on what we can do and how we can help. Ed & Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock! I'm excited the BOBB treatment has been scheduled. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carin...I will be praying for you and your family every day starting today till you are cured. If I post something encouraging or funny on my home page...know that I have you in mind...so I will on the lookout for really good stuff...I will end my post with #Carin2BCured�� ~Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The emoticon at the end of the #Carin2BCured was supposed to be a fist punch...not ??!! You got this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be a cure. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be a cure. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
  7. You’re not defeated! You’re going to overcome this stupid blip and move on. Please remember how good you will feel at the end of the month, right? Love you, carin! Your inner Godzilla is gonna fight this aml out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carin,
    You will get on the other side of this. You will get to that destination because you KNOW the road map. You have a great network of friends and family to see you through and be there for you, Mark, Eli and Sophie.
    #cancersucks #ihaveseenthismoviebefore #youareawarriorprincess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carin,
    Sending prayers and hugs your way. A lot of positive thoughts are being sent your way hoping you kick this illness to infinity and beyond--for good!!
    Diane, Jim, and Eric

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holding you tightly in my prayers and sending you so much love! Please keep writing and connecting; it is a privilege to bear witness to your journey. Thank you for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had a magic wand but in the absence of one, you will continue to be in my prayers! Hang in there! I wish I lived closer to helpπŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will send as much good energy and as many positive thoughts as I can. Love, David K

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m cheering for you sis!!! Feeling very hopeful. This is just the last bit of what you need to get well. I love you ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just pull from the strenth of everyone who cares and loves you. You will be at 100%. And during that month away i can always make a receipe me and mark had as kids. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Juelie in AlbuquerqueApril 19, 2018 at 8:14 AM

    Carin and Family, I wish I lived closer to you all (Albuquerque) I would do everything in my power to help in any way I could. I am one of the fortunate breast cancer survivors from 2010 and would love to pass on to you my success. Be assured my thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with you from this distance as I know so many of Ilene's friends are sending to you as well. I will be keeping in touch with her. Be well soon, Carin!!

    ReplyDelete