Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Creatures of the Night

After the sun goes down, we creep out of our rooms. Yellow gowns. Yellow masks.
Purple gloved creatures pushing poles down the halls.

Some might call us Vampires. Sneaking out after dark. After the halls are empty.
Confined by our situation, we roam after everyone else leaves.

However, I prefer to think of us as candles.
Beating back the cancer with our yellow and purple flames.
Knowing that each step we take around the floor
is one less step for the Disease. We are the transplants.
We will be the survivors. We will
march out cancer with our feet and with our sheer will.
It is impossible for this disease to win when we shine our light out
there.

Sometimes I walk at 8:00pm on the dot. Antsy for the clock to move. Anxious
to get out of my room, even if it's just for 10 or 20 minutes. Sometimes I
walk in the middle of the night. 3am. 5am. Anytime I can't sleep, I suit up and
go out there. I know the exercise helps the bone marrow get to where it needs
to go. I also know I can nap during the day, which I often do.

I will shed my light as long as I am able. I expect to have several days where I just
cannot go out there. But I know other candles will be there to light up the night
in my stead, and this is enough.

3 comments:

  1. Shine on. What a beautiful post. Can everyone on your floor access your blog? They should!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shine on, missy! Very eloquent!

    ReplyDelete