Saturday, May 6, 2017

Transplant Dos and Don'ts

I have a list of restrictions about a mile long that I thought I would share.
The list is a bit daunting. Just a warning!

While in the hospital I must:

- Stay in my room until 8pm. When I do leave to do some laps, I must wear
a gown, gloves, and a mask. If I need to leave before 8pm, too bad for me.
- Wear gloves anytime I touch paper products. This includes: reading, coloring, looking
at food menu, doing legos (paper instruction sheet)
- All clothing washed in hot water and partitioned into outfits, each outfit put in a ziploc
bag. Each outfit may be worn once and then needs to be washed again.
- Personal blanket needs to be washed once a week
- If I were the kind of person to have a personal stuffed animal, that buddy would have to
be washed once a week while a poser stood in for the real one.
- I have to use really yucky soap called "Hibiclens" that stinks and dries out your skin
but is bad for germs
- All items brought into the room need to be wiped down with antibacterial wipes
- I am not allowed to wear any makeup. This horrifies me the most
- No deodorant unless it's provided by the hospital.
- I have to brush my teeth with some really disgusting toothpaste and have an oral hygene
routine that's pretty gross but the idea is to reduce mouthsores so I'll so it.
-I need to exercise every day. I have a stationary bike in my room for this. It's a Swedish bike.
All instructions are in Swedish. I love this.
- I may have visistors, and LOVE visitors!! There is a yellow station right outside my room
full of gowns to suit up in, and rubber gloves. No mask is necessary unless someone has a cold.
Visitors are often the only people other than nurses that I get to see all day so I would love if you came out to see me!


Once I come home - rules for 1st 100 days (about mid-August)
- I can sit with my pets but cannot sleep with them.
- My bedding, including comfortor, must be washed once a week in hot water. To this
end, I will be sleeping in the guest room twin bed, which will be easier to maintain than the
king-sized bed. Also, easier to keep the pets out of the guest room.
- The  "NO" list:
       - NO Cooking
       - NO Cleaning
       - NO Laundry
       - NO Driving
       - NO Restaurant or outside food :-(
The No Driving is going to be the hardest. I have been assured that I will be too tired to care.
We'll see...
- A whole lot of vacuuming and house cleaning must be done, but not by me.
- Again, I will be able to have visistors at home, and will welcome them. I will be
allowed to leave the house, ut on small outings at first, and will have to wear a
mask for a while. but I can alsoqualify to drive those electric shopping
store carts. I'm rather psyched for that!

There are other rules to follow, but the binder is in the corner, and the gloves are across
the room, and I am too lazy to get the gloves and then go get the binder. This is just a
sampling to see what needs to be entailed to ensure post-procedure health.

How to help:
I will not be able to eat any outside food. However, my hubs and kids can, and would
appreciate a meal. You can sign up from the following link:

 www.TakeThemAMeal.com and enter the last name ‘Style’ and password 4175 to sign up on the schedule.



       

2 comments:

  1. Carin, Well it seems they have thought of almost everything and we know you are really good with rules.
    Hopefully you can remember them all. We are thinking of you and hope you can find a way to get some food you like!
    Ed & Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you didn't take the teddy bear.

    ReplyDelete