Friday, May 12, 2017

The Doldrums

The Doldrums: maritime term indicating a low-pressure area around the
equator where the prevailing winds are calm. The doldrums are also noted
for calm periods when the winds disappear altogether, trapping sail-powered
boats for periods of days or weeks.

So this is where I am - the doldrums. For the next 10 days or so, my white
cell blood count will be at zero. My platelets will bounce around close to zero.
And I will have a sore throat.

It is the mother of all sore throats. It's got a lovely name: "Mucusitis". I wonder who won
that infliction-naming contest. Even with the crummy moniker, it it a really bad sore
throat. In my esophogus, so that everything I swallow is terribly painful.

It is the result of the chemotherapy  destroying the mucus membranes in my mouth and my
lack of immune system to do any fighting. So I sit around waiting for that wind to kick up
and get me out of the doldrums. That will happen in about 10 days (ish) when my sister's
bone marrow decides to get cozy and make a home.

Of course, that will bring with it it's own host of problems. But I am just taking one day
at a time. Rinsing with lidocaine and taking oxycodone helps a bit. As long as I can keep
eating, I'm ahead of the game.

It also helps to know this is exactly where my ship should be at this point. Sitting in still waters
just waiting.

2 comments:

  1. One day at a time. Hopefully you can get lost in a good book. or two Hemingway and the South Seas come to mind to help you through the doldrums. Ed & Rita

    ReplyDelete