Thursday, February 9, 2017

It Takes A Village

In addition to my team of doctors and nurses who keep me healthy while I
am in here, I am amazed by the amount of people who are employed by the
hospital whose job may seem insignifigant but with out that job this place would
not be the same.

There is the Floor Sweeper. He spends every morning getting the loose detrius
up off the floor. I passed him this morning and was shocked by how much stuff is
just out there.

There is the Restocker. This person comes into my room (and everyone's room) every
day to make sure there are enough rubber gloves and masks and alcohol wipes for my
safety.

The Fridge Guy - this is a volunteer who checks my fridge temp every day to make sure
that it's safe for me to keep food in there.

I have at least three different people in to clean the room every day. The top-to-bottom
girl, the bathroom person, the garbage collector. Sometimes I get an extra floor
sweeper too.

The Food Service People - they bring the good and not so good meals. But they are
always cheerful and feel bad if the food just does not taste right. 

The Pantry Restocker Guy - this is most important. There is a little pantry down the hall
where you can get coffee, tea, and snacks. The snacks are super important because sometimes
the food is terrible. Or just tastes terrible due to the chemo. There are frozen Stouffer's meals
in the freezer, water ice, ice cream, an assortment of juice and milk, and cereal. I have raided
this pantry many times at three in the morning.

The next time you have to go to the hospital for any thing at all (and I truly hope it's never)
just take a look around you. All of those people work hard to keep you healthy and safe.
Give them an wave and a smile and a thank you. It goes a long way to making someone's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment