Monday, February 13, 2017

Real Life Superheros

As many of you know, I really like superheros. "Batman" was one of the first words
I  said. I have Wonder Woman as my facebook profile picture. Something about
superheros has always been appealing to me.

Now I need a real-life superhero. The way secondary AML leukemia (meaning the
leukemia you get from chemo) works is that is will not go away on its own. The docs
can put me in remission but I won't stay there.

My only hope for a cure is to get a bone marrow transplant. And to get that, I need a
bone marrow match. My two wonderful sisters have been tested, and it would be great
if one of them matched, but there is only a 25% chance of that.

In the meantime, if you or someone you know is between the ages of 18-44, you can
go to https://bethematch.org/ and see how you can register to be a donor.

Or if you are up in the Blue Bell, PA area, my synagogue is having a bone marrow
drive on Tuesday, February 21st. The info is here:

 TBI is having a Bone Marrow Registration Drive on Tuesday, February 21st from 3-7 pm. The address of TBI is 1920 Skippack Pike, Blue Bell, PA
In order to be a possible match, you have to be between the ages of 18-44. Please come out and get tested. You will be doing a wonderful mitzvah (good deed). Please pass the word along to your friends, students, teachers, and family.
For more information, contact Betty Kelly at 877-601-1926 Ext 7722.

Thanks for letting me get up on my soapbox! And I'll let everyone know as soon as a match is found!

5 comments:

  1. Bummer... I wish I could turn back time so I could be tested. I was looking forward to doing it for you. 🙁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Due to my age, I, too am unable to be tested, but alas, I will continue to "advertise" and use my superpower of Positive Thinking on your behalf! ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never before has my age been an issue to me. Doug and I have been in the donor registry for 15 years at least. It hadn't occurred to me that we could actually be too old. I'm going to ask my son to consider it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will spread the word. Stinks that I'm not young enough.

    ReplyDelete