Monday, February 6, 2017

The People in My Neighborhood

Here are some of the people that I encounter every day here on Rhoads 3. I am too
shy to ask anyone for names, or I see them either in their room when I am out of mine,
or they are in the hallway when I am in my room.

So I have given them my own names:

Brave Baldy - this is a young 20-something year old woman who does not wear any
head covering at all. She can often be seen in gym shorts and a tank top and sneakers
doing laps very early in the morning. She also has a very lively room with lots of friends
visiting.

The Cute Couple - I think there always must be one of these on the floor. The man is in
for treatment. I see them walk hand-in-hand round the floor.They eat their meals together.
I think she is here every day for almost all day long.

College Frat Boy - another young one. He wears a headband when he does his laps. Here's
a bit of  chemo trivia: without hair, the sweat or other body fluids have nowhere to go. Nose
will run, eyes will run. So I get the headband.

Plaid PJs Man - He also does early morning laps. Wears plaid pajamas, red slippers and a
red watch cap.

Harold Ramis - there is a guy at the way end of the hall who I swear is Harold Ramis.  I'm not about to ask him, though.

Then there is Tattoo Nurse. I like her. She had very cool forearm ink of Groot from Gardian
of the Galaxies.

The Dark Haired Nurse Group - there are enough nurses on this floor with long, brunette hair,
many of whom have names beginning with the letter "M", that they actually make fun of themselves.
"We all look the same - you can call us whatever you want"

The Cute Young Residents - these also look a bit alike. Early 20's and very earnest. Very
respectful to me. In fact, on my way up to the floor, I dragged my own suitcase up because I
did not want to wait an hour for someone to help me. I stopped in the hall at one point to rest,
and two of the docs were just coming off shift. They recognized me from the week before and
knew I was checking in. They took my bags and brought them to my room for me. Great guys.
I just have a hard time calling them "Dr. Jones" instead of "Hey, Tim!"

In the meantime, all of us patients try to get out of our room as much as possible.
Doing laps round and round the floor.  For some reason, though, I must be a British
"lapper".  I always pick the wrong direction and go against traffic. Figures!

5 comments:

  1. ������
    Perfect! Now we have to make up some good stories about them...let the imagination run wild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. Sweet. I'm glad you are surrounded by good people. See you soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no wrong direction in this journey! You will step to the beat of your own drum and beat this straight on with grace and grit and fabulous humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fear what my nickname would be, I hope you would be kind to me .... ? Would I be Dr. Who?

    ReplyDelete