Friday, February 24, 2017

It's the Noise

I just had my third bone marrow biopsy this morning. I have been very lucky
so far in having people who are kind and sympathetic and very generous with
the lidocaine. It's not a fun procedure by any stretch of the imagination, but it
can be made so much worse if the person performing it does not have a gentle
touch.

There's only one real moment of pain during the biopsy and that's the ol'
"Take a deep breath and you will feel a zing" moment. Today, I did not feel
the zing and thought I got away easy. Nope.  The doc had to try again to get
the right spot. Zing! Damn.

But it's the second half of the proceedings that is the disturbing part. It does not
really hurt because they have numbed you up. But it's the marrow sample part.
It's the noise that is so bad. It sounds just like a corkscrew opening up a bottle
of wine. "Screech, screech, screech". Added to that is the fact that you can feel
the doc turning, turning, turning to get the core out. Screech! Pop! Bottle is open!
You may now enjoy your champagne!

Excuse me while I got put ice on my drink. I mean my hip. It hurts now after all of that
poking and probing. Salut!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you have to go through all of this. Thank you for your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carin,

    This is really inspiring how you have been able to make the best of the situation. It is also very helpful for those of us following you to get a sense of what you are going through. Please let me know what I can do to help. Tim

    ReplyDelete