Friday, February 10, 2017

The Grub

Eating hospital food for a week is one thing. Eating it for a month is a totally different
experience.

When I first got admitted, I insisted they put me on the Kosher menu. I only eat Kosher
meat but will order dairy and fish from regular menus. However, I thought it would be
nice to have some roast chicken from time to time.

Big Mistake. The kosher meals here are vile. Beyond vile. I tried. I tried several times.
Got the roast chicken. The spaghetti and meatballs. The turkey breast. The turkey in
particular had "stuffing" that came with it. It looked like a brown version of Sponge Bob
Squarepants. I have no idea what it was made of, but it wasn't stuffing.

So I then had to beg them to take me off of the kosher menu. Once I was ordering from
the regular menu, things perked up a bit.

I have the same two or three things for breakfast every day - eggs, rye toast, fresh fruit cup,
hot tea. The toast is usually cold but I can deal with that. It's relatively tasty.

Lunch has been a grilled cheese and lots and lots of ketchup. I keep trying to order side
dishes to go with it but they are all gross. Pasta salad - gloopy. Garden salad - insipid.
Cole slaw - needs salt. The soup is hit or miss.

For dinner, I have my MIL to thank once again. She brings me frozen spaghetti that she has
made, so I just have that. I also have some frozen macaroni and cheese that has been a good
stand in. The fridge in my room has become a lifeline for food.

I'm grateful for the pantry down the hall. There is always Cheerios or Rice Chex to fill in the
hungry times. I have a fridge in my room full of snacks.

And the big thing is that I'm not sure if the food is actually that bad or if it's just Chemo Mouth.
But still. Very grateful for those Cheerios!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's getting repetitive. Tell me what I can get you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one goes to the hospitals for their food, if they did they would be called restaurants. Unfortunately you found out why the nurses station has so much junk food and other take out.

    ReplyDelete